Office of Acquired Brain Injury
Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council
The Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council works to:
- Inform state leadership of the needs of people with brain injuries and their families.
- Recommend policies and practices to meet those needs.
- Encourage research into the cause, prevention and treatment of traumatic brain injury and care of people with a traumatic brain injury.
- Promote brain injury prevention and awareness throughout the state.
- Identify people with traumatic brain injuries, their family members and care-givers and to improve their access to supports and services.
The council is appointed by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. The members include:
- Eight public consumer members, including at least three individuals who have a traumatic brain injury and three who are related to someone with a traumatic brain injury.
- Six professional members, including a representative each from acute hospital trauma units; the National Institute for Disability Rehabilitation Research Traumatic Brain Injury Model System, acute or post-acute rehabilitation facilities; community-based services; faculties of institutions of higher education; and providers in the areas of physical therapy, occupational therapy, or cognitive rehabilitation.
- Representatives from the Texas Department of State Health Services, the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, the Health and Human Services Commission, the Texas Education Agency, Texas Planning Council for Developmental Disabilities and the Texas Department of Insurance.
2013 Council Meeting Dates
- January 18, 2013
- April 12, 2013
- July 19, 2013
- October 25, 2013
Please check the HHSC meetings page for agenda information and locations for upcoming meetings.
To apply for membership on the Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council:
- Application for Advisory Council (*Print and fill out application)
TBIAC Documents and Reports
- Needs and Resources Assessment Report, 2008
- Report to the Governor, 2007
- House Bill 1919 – Insurance coverage requirements for post-acute care and cognitive rehabilitation
- Executive Summary, Acquired Brain Injury and Long Term Care in Texas, 2006
- Executive Summary, Putting the Pieces Together, 2001
TBIAC Legacy (Pre-2000) Documents and Reports
- Needs Assessment Report, 1999
- Policy Analysis, 1999
- Gaps in Service, 1999
- Statewide Action Plan of Supports & Service, 1999
- Important First Steps, Brochure
- Concussion Cards for Children, English
- Concussion Cards for Children, Spanish
- Concussion Cards for Adults, English
- Concussion Cards for Adults, Spanish