Office of Acquired Brain Injury
Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council
Council seeks members: The Office of Acquired Brain Injury is seeking applications to fill six openings on the Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council. To apply, submit an application for appointment.
The Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council works to:
- Inform state leadership of the needs of people with brain injuries and their families.
- Recommend policies and practices to meet those needs.
- Encourage research into the cause, prevention and treatment of traumatic brain injury and care of people with a traumatic brain injury.
- Promote brain injury prevention and awareness throughout the state.
- Identify people with traumatic brain injuries, their family members and care-givers and to improve their access to supports and services.
The council is appointed by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. The members include:
- Eight public consumer members, including at least three individuals who have a traumatic brain injury and three who are related to someone with a traumatic brain injury.
- Six professional members, including a representative each from acute hospital trauma units; the National Institute for Disability Rehabilitation Research Traumatic Brain Injury Model System, acute or post-acute rehabilitation facilities; community-based services; faculties of institutions of higher education; and providers in the areas of physical therapy, occupational therapy, or cognitive rehabilitation.
- Representatives from the Texas Department of State Health Services, the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, the Health and Human Services Commission, the Texas Education Agency, Texas Planning Council for Developmental Disabilities and the Texas Department of Insurance.
2015 Council Meeting Dates
- January 9, 2015
- April 10, 2015
- July 10, 2015
- October 9, 2015
Please check the HHSC meetings page for agenda information and locations for upcoming meetings.
TBIAC Documents and Reports
- TBIAC’s approved Report to the Governor, 2014
- Needs and Resources Assessment Report, 2008
- Report to the Governor, 2007
- Important First Steps, Brochure
- Concussion Cards for Children, English
- Concussion Cards for Children, Spanish
- Concussion Cards for Adults, English
- Concussion Cards for Adults, Spanish