How to Get Help
Applying for Benefits
Ways we can help you
You now can apply for benefits without going to an HHSC benefits office. You can apply by going online, filling out a paper form, or calling us.
Go online to www.YourTexasBenefits.com
Find out if you might be able to get benefits.
- Click on the “Should I apply?” box.
- Fill out a short form.
Apply for benefits.
- Click on the “Apply for benefits” box.
- Set up an account.
- Fill out the form.
- Send the form to us by clicking a button at the end of the form.
View your case
- Click on the “View my case” box.
- Set up an account or log into the account you created.
- You can do the following in this section of the site:
Fill out a paper form
If you can’t use www.YourTexasBenefits.com, you can either:
- Download and fill out a form online (fillable PDF).
- Print out the form and fill it out by hand.
You will need to mail to us a signed and dated copy of the form.
- Children’s Medicaid or CHIP (PDF)
- Medicaid for people age 65 and older and people with disabilities or for Medicare Savings Programs (PDF)
- Food benefits (SNAP), health care (Medicaid), or cash help for families (TANF) (PDF)
Do you have more than 5 people applying for SNAP, Medicaid or TANF? You can print and fill out an Extra page for "People Applying for Benefits" section of the application (H1010 - Section H – pages 4 and 5). After you are done filling out the extra page, attach it to your application form. You may use as many extra pages as you need.
If you want these forms mailed to you, you can either:
- Go to YourTexasBenefits.com. Click on “Get a paper form” at the bottom of the page. Then scroll down to “Ask to have the forms mailed to you.”
- Call toll-free 2-1-1. Pick a language and then pick option 2.
Call us at 2-1-1
If you need help applying for benefits, call toll-free 2-1-1 (or 1-877-541-7905). Pick a language and then pick option 2. Staff can help you Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Visit an HHSC benefits office
Most people who apply for benefits don’t need to come into the office for an interview. We will try to set up a phone interview.
If you need to visit an office, you can find one near you by either:
- Going to YourTexasBenefits.com. Click on “Find an office” at the top of the page.
- Calling 2-1-1. Pick a language and then pick option 1.
Finding services in your area
Calling 2-1-1 is a free, easy way to find out about services you can get. After you pick a language, pick option 1. You can learn more about services such as:
Staff can talk with you anytime you call – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You also can visit the 2-1-1 website at www.211Texas.org.
Visit a Community Partner
You might be able to get free help applying for HHSC benefits by visiting an organization in your area. [List of Community Partners]
Getting other help
Find health insurance you can afford: Visit www.TexasHealthOptions.com, a service of the Texas Department of Insurance.
File a complaint: If you have a complaint about your benefits case, call 2-1-1 first. If you don't get the help you need there, you should then contact the Ombudsman by either:
- Visiting the Ombudsman’s website.
- Calling 1-877-787-8999 (toll-free).
File a civil rights complaint: Call the Civil Rights Office at 1-888-388-6332 (toll-free) if you weren’t treated fairly (discriminated against) because of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion, or political beliefs.