Advisory Committee on Qualifications for
Health Care Translators and Interpreters
About the Committee
The Advisory Committee on Qualifications for Health Care Translators and Interpreters advises HHSC on the following for health care interpreters and translators:
- Language proficiency required for certification.
- Training requirements.
- Standards of practice.
- Requirements, content, and administration of certification examinations.
- Procedures for testing, qualifying, and certifying.
- Reciprocity agreements with other states.
House Bill 233 from the 2009 legislative session specifies that the committee shall develop strategies for implementing applicable regulations. The committee also makes recommendations for legislation to establish and enforce the qualifications for health care interpreters and translators.
|Voting Members||Non-Voting Members|
Suzanne Broussard, Houston
Jacque Burandt, San Antonio
Gel Detrick, Temple
Mary Esther Diaz, Austin
Miguel A. Fuentes, Temple
Ryan Foley, Houston
Gabriel A. Martin, Beaumont
Christopher Moreland, M.D., San Antonio
Edgardo García, Dallas
Irma E. Rubio, Lubbock
Nancy Miller, Austin
Detra Stewart, Houston
Fabio Torres, Fort Worth
Laura Jourdan, Austin
Barbara Wright , Austin
Randi Turner, Austin
Joan Miller, Austin
Patricia Hosey, Austin
- Recommendations for the 2010 Qualifications for Health Care Translators and Interpreters Legislative Charge and 82nd Legislature, Regular Session, 2011
- Recommendations in response to the 2010 Qualifications for Health Care Translators and Interpreters Legislative Charge and 83rd Legislature, Regular Session, 2013
The schedule is subject to change.
- April 19, 2013
- May 31, 2013
- July 26, 2013
Agenda and Minutes
To view agendas for upcoming meetings, go to the HHSC Meetings/Events page. The agendas and minutes for the advisory committee’s meetings are available in English and in Spanish upon request.