HHS Transformation Information

Learn More about the HHS Transformation

The Texas Legislature has directed HHSC to report all payments made under the 1115 Waiver within 45 days of issuance beginning September 2015. Select the following link to view payment information: View the 1115 Waiver Payments

HHSC Announces Senior Staff Appointments for New Medical and Social Services Division

HHS Executive Commissioner Charles Smith today introduced the team that will guide the new Medical and Social Services division.

HHSC Announces New Senior Staff Appointments

Executive Commissioner Charles Smith today announced key additions to the Health and Human Services leadership team who will help guide the Health and Human Services Commission through its transformation into a more efficient and responsive agency.

Proposed State Plan Amendment for Therapy Services

The Health and Human Services Commission has submitted to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services the state plan amendment to update Medicaid payments and fee schedules for physical, occupational and speech therapy services. The effective date for the proposed amendment is July 15. Click here to review the amendment.

It's a Hoax

The promise of bonus money for SNAP recipients is spreading like wildfire on social media. However, it's all a hoax. The viral rumor promises people who receive SNAP benefits will get an extra $1,000 for three months, as a gift from President Obama.

At this time, the federal government has not approved a SNAP cash payment or a special one-time TANF payment for SNAP recipients. HHSC is not aware of any plans for the federal government to award a SNAP cash payment or a one-time TANF payment to current SNAP recipients.

HIPAA Notification: Vendor Loses Clients' Personal Information

The Health and Human Services Commission is notifying people about the accidental loss of protected health information. The breach may affect a little more than 600 people who applied for benefits.

Iron Mountain, an HHSC contractor, was storing boxes containing client files that were slated for destruction. Iron Mountain notified the agency that it lost 15 boxes of HHSC's files from their Irving, Fort Worth and Dallas facilities.

HHSC Submits 2017 State Plan to Ensure Refugees are Fully Vetted

Health and Human Services Executive Commissioner Charles Smith sent a letter today to the U.S. Department of State concerning refugee resettlement in Texas.

The letter informs the federal government that Texas will not agree to increase the number of refugees coming into the state, and the 2017 State Plan for the Refugee Program has been written to ensure Texas only accepts refugees who are fully vetted and do not present a security threat.

HHSC Announces Additions to Executive Leadership

Chief Deputy Executive Commissioner Charles Smith announced Heather Griffith Peterson and Kara Crawford are joining the Health and Human Services’ executive leadership team.

Big Win for Texas, HHSC Receives Extension for 1115 Waiver

The Health and Human Services Commission and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services have agreed to extend a state and federal partnership that finds innovative ways to deliver healthcare.

IG Integrity Initiative

The HHSC Inspector General has launched the IG Integrity Initiative, a new collaboration between the IG and Medicaid providers, managed care organizations and any individual or entity that receives Medicaid funding. The initiative will strengthen the effort to root out fraud, waste and abuse in Texas Medicaid by building a community policing framework structured on a statewide integrity network.

HHS Executive Commissioner Announces New Leadership for Department of Family and Protective Services

Health and Human Services Executive Commissioner Chris Traylor announced he has selected a former Texas Ranger to lead the Department of Family and Protective Services. HHS Executive Commissioner Announces New Leadership for Department of Family and Protective Services in Spanish

New website connects women to health services

The state has launched a new website, HealthyTexasWomen.com, a new one-stop hub created to help women find family planning programs and other state services. The new site, available in English and Spanish, connects women to programs for everything from general health care to breast and cervical cancer screening, pregnancy testing to prenatal care, and smoking cessation to mental health treatment.

Opportunity to Comment on HHS Transformation

The process for transforming the Texas Health and Human Services System has started. A major component driving the transformation is public comment. Get details about transformation activities and how to provide comment on the transformation by visiting the HHS Transformation website.

Dr. John Hellerstedt Will Join DSHS as New Commissioner

Texas Health and Human Services Executive Commissioner Chris Traylor announced today Dr. John Hellerstedt is returning to the HHS system Jan. 1, this time as commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services. Read the news release | Read the news release in Spanish

Medicaid Provider Re-enrollment Update

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently announced that the previous March 24, 2016 deadline for Medicaid provider re-enrollment is extended to Sept. 24, 2016. Though this extension gives states additional time to ensure providers comply with Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requirements, Texas Medicaid encourages all providers who have not yet submitted a re-enrollment application to begin this process immediately to avoid potential payment disruptions. 

For more information, visit the Provider Re-enrollment page.

Eat healthy. Save money.

Eat Health - Bowl with Fruit

Sometimes it’s hard to find time to plan meals or buy healthy foods on a budget. For help, check out our “Eat Healthy” web pages. These pages have tips for planning meals, shopping on a budget, and healthy recipes.

Savings ideas open for voting

A list of money-saving ideas from health and human services employees is available for public vote. Our agencies are looking at the suggestions to see which ones are the most feasible. Tell us your favorites.

You can report suspected waste, fraud or abuse in health and human services programs to the HHSC Office of Inspector General online or by calling the Integrity Line at 800-436-6184. You may also make a report to the Texas State Auditor's Office by calling 800-TX-AUDIT.

Sign Up for E-mail Updates Texas Women's Health Program Mentalhealthtx.org website $50 or less every 6 months insures all your children. http://www.votetexas.gov/ logo Texas Veterans Portal website Senior Guide Banner Twogether in Texas: premarital education classes Nuture family navigate life logo Office Closure logo